What are your Easter plans this weekend? Let me tell you what they are. You’re going to make these adorable little rice krispie treat nests (for the children, of course). Always for the children. And if two or three of them strangely go missing, I am going to look at you through cyberspace and you will look at me, and we will share a look of deepest understanding and neither of us shall ever speak a word about it. Because even though these little springtime treats are fun and seemingly childish, you and I will know that they are so much more than that. They are gooey and crispy and buttery, and made ever more sinful thanks to the addition of a few tastefully-placed Cadbury eggs.
These rice krispie treat nests are insanely easy to make, and I have a few tips to share to make them turn out absolutely perfect for your Easter-time festivities.
- First of all, use this rice krispy treat recipe. It is simply the best. So marshmallowey, so gooey, and by using browned butter, you add yet another element of deliciousness to the mix.
- Next, use a measuring cup to portion out and initially shape each nest. This will help keep them all uniform-looking. I used 1/3 cup, and it was the perfect size. Now, if you’re like a go-big-or-go-home type of person, by all means, feel free to take it up a notch to the 1/2 cup size. Respect, man. Respect.
- Spray both the measuring cup and your hands occasionally with cooking spray. This will help the rice krispie treat to slide out of the cup easily, and it’ll help keep it from sticking to your fingers.
- After pressing the rice krispie treat firmly into the measuring cup, slide it out and place it on waxed paper.
- Add some sprinkles!
- Use your greased thumb to gently press an indented groove in the middle of the nest, but not too big. You don’t want the indent so large that the eggs will look lonely in there, like they’re lying at the bottom of a pit! That would just be tragic. You want the eggs to look snug and cozy in there, poking about half-way out of the indent.
- Press three Cadbury eggs into the indent, with their pointed ends facing up (it just looks better this way!) I say to use three, rather than two or four because odd numbers just look better! But if you realllly want an extra Cadbury egg on there, I certainly won’t judge you for it.
And that’s all there is to it! Display them on a pretty cake stand or festive serving platter, and you’ve got the cutest Easter treat in the bag.
Looking for other Easter recipes? You might like to try the Cake Boss’ Italian Wheat Pie, here.
Perfect Little Easter Rice Krispie Treat Nests
Recipe type: Dessert
- Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treat recipe (link in tip #1, above)
- One bag Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Make the Browned Butter Rice Krispie treats according to directions, but leave in the pot.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray ⅓ measuring cup and your hands with cooking spray.
- Press rice krispie treat firmly into the measuring cup and level off the top (this will form the flat bottom of the nest).
- Slide the rice krispie treat carefully out of the cup and place on the parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the rice krispie treats.
- Add sprinkles, if desired.
- Using greased fingers, press gently in the center of each nest to form a shallow indent. The indent shouldn't be very large, as you want 3 Cadbury Mini eggs to fit snugly inside each indent.
- Place 3 Cadbury Mini eggs into each indent, with their pointed ends facing up. They should be sticking out of the nests about half-way.
- Serve on a decorative cake stand or platter!