This is the pizza dough recipe I used for my Gorgonzola Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Roasted Acorn Squash, if you’d like to give it a try. It’s a bit unique in that you use ice-cold water, and then refrigerate it overnight in order to help develop the flavors more fully. Oh how I wish I had a brick oven!! Someday…
Delayed Start Pizza Dough
Recipe type: Bread
- 10 cups high-protein flour (can use bread flour)
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. instant active yeast
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 3 ½ cup ice cold water
- Combine 6 cups flour, water, salt, sugar, and yeast in a mixer with a dough hook.
- Mix at slow speed for 1-2 minutes, then add olive oil.
- Mix at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes (this is called sponging).
- Add 2 cups flour to mixer and mix at slow speed for 1 minute, then add 2 more cups flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing in-between.
- Add enough flour until dough pulls away from the sides and is not too sticky to the touch.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with seran wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Do not skip this step.
- Place the chilled dough in a warm place about 6 hours before cook time. Dough should rise in the bowl.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal-sized balls about 2-3 hrs before cook time, coat with oil, cover, and place in a warm area.
- Once doubled in size, stretch to form the crust, without de-gasing the dough.